Monday, September 19, 2011

Spaghetti Squash with Tomato Sauce

This recipe was acquired from Ali Vincent and the credit is all hers. I have eaten this several times and it's FAB-ulous! I will never eat regular spaghetti again. I am also adding my own comments to this and listing the brands I bought.

Spaghetti Squash with Tomato Sauce
  • 4 oz. extra-lean ground turkey (120 calories) (I used Jennie O)
  • 1/2 cup chopped onions (29 calories)
  • 1 cup mushrooms (42 calories)
  • 2 cups marinara sauce (200 calories) (I used Hunt's Spaghetti sauce)
  • 1 Spaghetti squash
  • Basil
  • Oregano
Directions : Spray a frying pan with non stick cooking spray and saute the ground turkey, onions, mushrooms and peppers together (I also added basil and oregano to my meat mixture as it was cooking) Drain if needed. Add this mixture to your marinara sauce (make sure you have a big enough pot). Add additional oregano and basil to taste. Let simmer.

Prepare the spaghetti squash by cutting it in half, scoop out the seeds and place one half in a steamer bag (I used Ziploc Steamer Bags). The medium size bags aren't quite long enough, so trim the ends of the squash. OR place the squash half in an 8x8 glass dish. Add a little water and cover in Suran Wrap and steam for approximately 6 minutes. Using a fork, shred the squash in a bowl so it looks like spaghetti. 

One cup of spaghetti squash is 32 calories.

Serve your "spaghetti" hot and top with your meat mixture.

This recipe will serve at least 4 people. Ali uses a measuring cup when portioning her dishes so she knows how much she is serving. An average serving is 140 calories.

2 comments:

Karen Rutherford said...

Finally! I've been waiting for this!!! :)

Anonymous said...

Yummy! I will be making this tomorrow. Thank you so much for putting up the recipe (: